Riverdale Mills Corp. is one of the largest manufacturers of welded wire mesh in the world and is known as the industry leader for its galvanized and PVC coated wire mesh products. James Knott Sr., an energetic engineer and inventor with a passion for science and business, created the company.
Knott, a native of Gloucester, MA, America’s oldest seaport, saw a fundamental weakness in the design of lobster traps: the harsh Atlantic Ocean quickly corroded the wooden and rope structures, forcing lobstermen to spend an inordinate amount of time and money replacing their traps. Knott pioneered a manufacturing process, which combines galvanized welding and a PVC coating, to create the only wire mesh fabric in the world specifically engineered to withstand the harshest subsea conditions.
Riverdale Mills delivered the first shipment of its marque product Aquamesh® to Maine in 1980; it is now shipped to fishing ports around the world.
The same techniques originally applied to create Aquamesh are now used in industries as diverse as security, agriculture and construction. Aquamesh is used for security along the U.S./Mexican border, the company’s WireWall® fencing product can be found in areas of Kuwait, and its Soft-Step™ poultry wire is used to reduce bacteria levels in breeder and boiler houses.
Riverdale Mills continues to focus on cutting edge research and innovative engineering methods to deliver products of unsurpassed quality and provide customers around the world with superior service.
Riverdale Mills is a proud member of the following industry and trade organizations:
- American Fence Association
- American Galvanizers Association
- American Shotcrete Association
- Associated Industries of Massachusetts
- Atlantic Offshore Lobstermen’s Association
- Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Cooling Technology Institute
- East Coast Shellfish Growers Association
- Independent Galvanizers Cooperative
- Maine Lobstermen’s Association
- Manufacturers’ Agents National Association
- Massachusetts Lobstermen’s Association
- MetroWest Human Resource Management Association
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association
- Society for Human Resource Management